Whether it comes on suddenly resulting from an injury or develops gradually, there are certain things that you should and shouldn’t do when you have knee pain. There are a few simple home remedies you could try:
- Elevate the leg
- Apply ice
- Use a compression bandage
- Over-the-counter painkillers
- Lidocaine or capsaicin ointment
If the condition persists, or is accompanied by a fever, you should not treat the knee pain without seeing your doctor. He may refer you to see a Qualified Orthopaedic Surgeon. There are certain remedies you should definitely not try. These include:
- Lateral wedge insoles. These are not effective in patients with medial knee osteoarthritis. If you suspect this is the cause of your knee problems, or even if you are unsure, lateral wedge insoles will not help.
- Glucosamine or chondroitin supplements. In a large scale $12.5 million study conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Neither of these supplements came out ahead of conventional painkillers.
- Hyaluronic acid (HA). The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons issued a strong recommendation against the use of HA. A review involving 12,000 patients concluded that the substance had little or no benefit and in fact increased the risk of adverse effects.
Another very important thing to avoid doing is to simply avoid walking when you have knee pain. No matter how brave you think you are, weight-bearing on a damaged knee can only make the situation worse. You should also not use walking aids like a cane or crutches unless advised to by a qualified medical professional. While they may take pressure off of an injured joint, they will affect the way you walk. Over time, the rest of your joints and muscles will readjust themselves to accommodate the altered placement of your knee caused by the crutches. This could lead to further damage of the injured knee or cause problems in other bones, muscles and joints.
Finally, there are some things you can do to prevent knee pain from happening in the first place. These include maintaining a healthy weight and getting regular exercise.