With aesthetic becoming a major factor for drawing in more consumers and clients, different establishments are answering the call to become more style-forward when it comes to their interior design. That’s why jobs in interior design have boomed in recent years, with the demand for skilled designers at an all time high. With so many others fighting for the same market, it can be tough to keep up with the challenge. But by staying updated with the latest trends and practices, you can lead the pack and make a name for yourself in a cut-throat industry. Wondering how to stay savvy with the current styles? Find out here by checking out these 5 tips:
- Find the Right Friends – In the realm of interior design, no man is an island. Design is cultural, which means it’s shared by more people than just you and your potential clients. By exploring the groups and organizations available to designers, you can meet others who have unique experiences, skills, and knowledge which will in turn help you expand your horizons and discover new styles.
- Subscribe to a Design Magazine – There are some great magazines and publications that offer insight and information from the veteran designers in the industry, and there’s a lot to learn from what they have to say. Subscribe to a design magazine or two so you always have a dose of inspiration to keep your creativity flowing.
- Explore Your Materials – Learning more about the different materials available to you will help you establish what combinations work and which don’t. In your free time, try going through design studies by putting different colors, textures, and materials together to help you discover your unique taste and to make creating combinations for clients easier in the future.
- Attend a Design Seminar – Just like any other industry, interior design is constantly changing and shifting. During seminars and summits, seasoned designers and authorities in the industry talk about the latest trends and practices, as well as share success secrets and skills that you can use to become a more effective designer. Find out if there are any interior design seminars near you so you can stay up-to-date with the rest of the professionals in your realm.
- Discover Your Own Styles – From modern, contemporary, minimalist, industrial, mid-century modern, and even transitional – the list of interior design styles are endless. Often, designers simply use these established templates, or a combination of them, and follow these standards to come up with their designs. But there isn’t a rule saying that this is the only thing you can do as a designer. What better way to stay on top of the trend than to be the trend yourself? Explore your abilities and stay inspired by finding design all around you. Translate what you find appealing into an aesthetic of your own. You never know when you might start your own interior design style for others to follow.
The job of an interior designer is no easy task. Be sure to capture the interest of your clients by staying in the know about the latest trends and practices in your industry. Follow these 5 simple tips to stay updated with your style and keep striving for your big break.